Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Rhubarb Dream

Well I didn't make Rhubarb squares, but I did make this.

Rhubarb Dream  

Ingredients:

Crust:

1 c Flour
5 T Sugar
1/4 c Butter

Topping:

2 Eggs
1 1/2 c Sugar
1/4 c Flour
1/4 ts Salt
2 c Rhubarb; fresh, diced

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Blend crust ingredients. Press into ungreased 9" x 9" pan. Mix topping ingredients and spoon over crust. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or till crust is golden brown.

To be honest, its too sweet for me. Rob seems to like it better, but of all the sweet things I have made around here, half of this is still left in the fridge uneaten.

Yesterday I finally cracked open this cookbook that I found on tour last spring. I had to buy it for Rob because it was just too wonderful of a find (St. Whalburg -- land of Paramedic cookbooks and hotels made out of old hospitals...). But the even more wonderful thing about it is that it is just another one of those community type cook books so it has some really great Saskatchewan food in it and I think because there are so many young Paramedics all over the province, some other great new things I've never tried. So really, it was only a present for Rob on the outside.

And inside this great cookbook I found a recipe for lemon poppy seed muffins, something I keep meaning to try, annnnd it was a recipe that could use up the leftover plain yogurt I had. I always buy plain yogurt for cooking but it never uses up enough and then I am left with all of this plain yogurt I don't know how to eat.

I love Christie's Mayfair Bakery's Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins like no other muffin, so I added white chocolate chips to the dough in the hopes that they would turn out the same.
Still not quite. Maybe I need to use a less refined flour? Oh well. I have enough for at least another two batches in the fridge that I will bake today. Yesterday the oven made the house too hot and so I turned it off and Rob and I went on a date to our public library. So much fun, its only a few blocks away in behind one of the two shopping centres we go to for everything. Rob even took a book out and made me promise I would make sure he read it. We are going to have regular dates to the library whenever we have to return books. Our library also has an archive of Saanich history (which is technically where I live), so we can learn all about the history of this neighborhood! Although it is only open Monday to Friday until 4:30, so I guess I'm on my own, but some of it is online too.

http://www.saanich.ca/discover/artsheritagearc/saanicharchives/index.html

Today is supposed to be a gardening day, but I'm going to have to get out there to beat the rain. We have peas!! And Eggplant flowers, which surely means we are really truly going to have eggplant right?? Next post I promise some garden pictures. Which means I'd better get on with things and out there to take some.

1 comment:

  1. You're making me hungry and I JUST ate lunch... stop that... lol :)

    ReplyDelete