Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Spring Forward

I'm from Saskatchewan.
Daylight Savings Time has never made a lot of sense to me. Even trying to make sense of which way I am going to set my clock when the time comes hasn't made a ton of sense. Until now.

I missed the end of Daylight Savings my first winter here.

(end? start? does anyone know? I am only going on the belief that now that we are basically making the daylight last longer it must be starting now? right?)

I had gone back to Saskatchewan to work on a show at Persephone Theatre and would not have even considered it being a problem except for two things. In Rob and I's relationship, whenever we lived apart, being two time zones away rather than one was awful. Two hours should not be that much more of a big deal over one. Should not be. But it is. For example, when it is six pm in Saskatchewan, it is eight pm here in the winter.  Six pm is dinner time. Eight pm is unwind time. The two hours between them feel like an eternity when you are apart. Trust me.

The other problem, I had never encountered before; most of my cast was from out of province. Most of my cast was not only prepared to set their clocks back, they did not realize that Saskatchewan didn't. This resulted in a near disastrous tech day when Marcel luckily responded to the next days schedule email the night before  with a quick little reminder to everyone to set their clocks back and get an extra hour of sleep. If he had not done that, the majority of the cast would have done just that, resulting in a disastrous first morning of tech rehearsals, the one week in theatre where everything absolutely has to run on time! Thank God for Marcel. I emailed everyone back quickly and reminded them Saskatchewan does not observe Daylight Savings time, and it resulted in a hilarious conversation about how horrible we are for depriving people an extra hour of sleep, especially in -30 weather and the crises was diverted. Whew.

So this winter was the first time I gained an hour and realized how sad I was to lose the sunlight. It was also the first time I really had to wrap my head around how startling it was to lose an hour of daylight in one day's time. Suddenly I wanted to pack up the office at three pm because it was very dark in there and yesterday at this time it had been four pm. See? Figure that out.

But this past weekend I finally got it. Yes, on Sunday we lost an hour, but really, where did I have to be anyway that I lost an hour to? I had a few moments of trying to wrap my head around getting up late and realizing it was ok, because yesterday it had been earlier. But then, it was six pm, and it was light outside. Just like that. And I decided Daylight Savings Time, you are ok with me, because even though I lost an hour, that extra hour of sunshine on the end of my day was worth its weight in gold.

And that, is something that will also take getting used to, dark and stormy winters. While I may not freeze to death from windchill, its hard to warm up from the damp without seeing the sun for several days in a row.

I'm very excited to "Spring Forward", and the blue skies seem to be co operating with me. As well as the cherry blossoms, and crocuses and daffodils. Spring here really looks like the spring in storybooks. The Vancouver Island chapter of my Instagram filled up with blossoms of every colour this weekend and now I am craving summer and a chance to go dig around in the (very very very soggy still) dirt!

And now that I am only "an hour away" from Saskatchewan again, let the evening Skype calls abound!


No comments:

Post a Comment